Q: How do I record my toon or make a movie?
- 1. In the game chat window, type: /demorecord
2. Example: /demorecord coh001
3. Hit enter and demo will begin recording
4. To end the demo type in the chat window: /demostop
5. The recorded demo is saved to your \city of heroes\client_demos\ folder
6. Example: \city of heroes\client_demo\coh001.cohdemo
Q: Easy as pie. So now, what do I need to do to see it?
- 1. From the CoH directory, make a shortcut of cityofheroes.exe on your desktop
2. Right click on the shortcut
3. Select Properties
4. Within the Target box you will see this command line: "C:\Program Files\City of Heroes\CityOfHeroes.exe"
5. Add this line after a space, -demoplay ***(where *** is the name you gave the demo)
6. Example: "C:\Program Files\City of Heroes\CityOfHeroes.exe" –demoplay coh001"
7. Exit properties
8. Double click on the cityofheroes.exe shortcut
9. The program (game) will start and play your demo
Q: I see it, but I need to do some editing. What do I do?
A: Use the following application: http://home.kc.rr.com/dasloth/CoH/Demos/DemoLaunch.htm.
- 1. Open a Command Prompt window
a. Start Button => Programs => Accessories => Command Prompt
2. Change to the root of your installed CoH directory
a. Type cd C:\Program Files\City of Heroes (if installed in the default location.)
3. Type cityofheroes.exe
a. Example: cityofheroes.exe –demoplay battle –demodump –demofps 30 –screen 720 486
i. This will playback a demo called battle at 30 frames per second with a screen size of 720x486 and also create a targa image sequence of the battle demo in a folder called C:\Program Files\City of Heroes\client_demos\screens\battle
4. You can now edit the targa image sequence in the video editing program of your choice. The targa image sequence will not save any audio. You will have to record the audio with external audio recording software.
5. You can record the demo with sound as an .avi file using FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com/) during this playback.
Q: What other commands should I know?
A: Other shortcut target command line options:
- -demodump Creates a targa image sequence in City of Heroes\client_demos\screens\demoname\*.t
-demofps "frames per second" forces the player to simulate a fixed frame per second—works well with demodump to get a smooth movie
Example: -demodump 29
<dimension 2>This will force a screen dimension for the playback. Otherwise, the demo will playback at your usual City of Heroes resolution.
<msecs>This is for videocard performance debug. Runs until it gets the the frame given (in milliseconds) then redraws that frame forever.
-fullscreen 1 Put game in fullscreen mode (overrides the registry key)
-fullscreen 0 Put game in windowed mode (overrides the registry key)
-disable2d Don't display character names, damage numbers, or any other text. Makes the demo look just like screenshots with user interface disabled.